Thursday, March 31, 2016


Well, as you can see
Maggie Ann is a big girl.
Here she is with her favorite (big) bone.

And one of her balls.
I'm watching you Mr. Ball.

Here she is in her crate. 
She was in need of larger living quarters.
I investigated buying the next size up for her which would
have worked for her size perfectly.
But the size was a few inches too big for where her crate is located.

So the only other option was to custom build her a crate.
So that is what I did.
 I had to rebuild it a couple of times actually.
I'll explain later.
So lets get started. 
I bought porch pickets for the frame because they would be sturdy enough
without being as big as a 2x4.

I measured many times for the exact width and length 
that would fit in her space.
I had to make sure I could slide the barn door
open and close without a problem.
So here's the framework of the crate.

I recycled the turquoise doors that I had used
for Cocoa and Tilly's condo.
After Tilly died, Cocoa always slept on the bed with us
so I didn't need the corner condo anymore.

Here's a sweet pic of our big girl
keeping me company one day when I
was sick in bed.

For the flooring of her crate I decided to use
some left over wood flooring we had used on
another house project.

I turned it upside down and attached it to the bottom of the frame.

Here's a look inside of the crate.
I don't know of many dogs that have hardwood flooring in their crates.
Remember when I said I built it a couple of times, well
when I got ready to move it into place
the flooring protruded just enough that I couldn't get it through the door way.
(Words were said people)

But she's worth it.
She's such a pretty girl!

I also used the flooring on the top.
I didn't make it solid because I wanted her to see some light
and have ventilation.
I also didn't add the top until everything fit properly in the space.

I forgot to mention that I wrapped the frame in hardware cloth.
I forgot to take pictures of that. 
It's kinda hard to see her but she's sitting up in there.

I love my bone.

You might notice that the frame is not symmetrical anymore.
It started out that way but when I moved it into place (again)
the barn door wouldn't slide open and close properly. I had not allowed for
the wire and screws that protruded (just a little) but enough.
So once again I took one side apart and cut it off.
Leaving just one side lite.
(I said a few more words again.)

But finally, it was in place and finished.
The barn door can slide open and close without any problems.
I think she's happy.

And Maggie can sit up, stand up and stretch out with any problems.

 She is worth all the work to make that happen.

Here she is watching for squirrels.

Hope you have sweet dreams pretty girl.

I raise my eyes toward the mountains.
Where will my help come from?

My help comes from the Lord,
the Maker of heaven and earth.

 Psalm 121:1 & 2

Thursday, March 10, 2016


This fireplace has had many, many looks over the years.
This is the latest and I hope the last makeover.
Since I had some left over wood planks from the bedroom wall makeover
I decided to re-do
the fireplace one more time.
And here it is.

Back in the 80's this was the style.
Lots of brick.
But I grew tired of all that brick. 

So I decided of a way to cover it up.
We added furring strips to the brick and attached plywood.

Then painted it so it blended more into the wall.
Not so brickey!
To start with it was a peach color. I can't believe I painted the walls peach.
But everybody did that in the 80's.

Then through the years it changed again.
A mint green.

A yellow color.

Then a light blue.

This is right before the makeover.

I used the same tongue and groove that I used for my bedroom wall.

A close up.

Here's the beginning of the makeover.

Progress continues.

I primed the knots first just like I did on my bedroom wall.
Then painted two coats of semi-gloss.

Here's the finished job.

Another close up.

I decided to paint out the brick to blend in with the wall.
But I left the brick around the firebox natural.

Another project finish.
I love how it turned out.

Hope you enjoyed the post.
I love to read your comments.

Remember to check me out in the latest issue of DIY Decorating Addict.

Search for the Lord and for His strength;
seek His face always.

1 Chronicles

Friday, March 4, 2016


This is what you can make when:
You have a talent for working with wood
and you have access to a lot of wood
and when you can't seem to throw any scrapes of wood away.
These were made by my 92 year old dad.

Here's a little story of how they are made.
He takes different types of wood and glues them together
with waterproof glue.
After everything is glued together he cuts them to length
and width. 
These are called blanks.

He then puts them on a lathe
for turning and shaping.

He uses a chisel to cut down the wood to the size and desired shape he wants.
For rolling pins that would be a french design
or a regular one with handles.
Here's my sweet dad in the process of making a regular rolling pin.

Below are some more examples.
This is a french style.

This is a regular and a french.
You can see how the different woods glued together
come out when they are shaped.

Isn't this cedar and oak beautiful.

More french.

More regular.

I decided to oil the rolling pins
with coconut oil.
It's a food safe oil that won't go rancid.
Below is what they look like before being oiled.

 This is showing the difference 
with and without oil.

 And this shows how beautiful the oil brings
out the color of the different woods.

 Quite a work of art I think.

the gift of God is eternal life
in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Romans 6:23